Monday, July 21, 2014

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner!

Sooner 


I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner!   

I've been putting wire cages around plants here forever to keep possums from eating my seedlings and at the same time I've been trying to work out a way to stop the white cabbage moth from laying it's eggs on my cabbages as demonstrated by the cabbage below.  

I've known about those fancy exclusion nets and such but I only grow one or two cabbage at a time.
Rarely in a row, and it seemed like a lot of effort for one or two cabbage.  

Wire Cages


Then it occurred to me, just leave the wire cages I'm using to keep the possum away over the cabbage and the moth can't get to the plant, so simple.

So simple I don't know why I haven't thought of it before.

For now I have the bigger chicken wire and the smaller bird wire covering one cabbage each.

Mainly to see if the moth can be bothered to fly through the larger chicken wire spacing.

No Support


 The cages don't need any extra support and are free standing. No need for staking or making frames up.

If it works though, I'll need to increase the overall size of my cages to account for the extra size of growth as my current cages are for covering seedlings only.
Here's the evil culprit chowing down on my broccoli.




Cheers, lets see how it goes

Stewart.

No comments: